The CCTools application available on the Google Play store has the capability to install a Perl add-on that gets you a functional Perl installation! That means you can write Perl scripts on your Android device, oh what fun 😉
Installing CCTools and Perl
The instructions for making this all work are as follows;
- 1. Install the CCTools app on your device from the Play Store
- 2. Open CCTools on your device. Select the menu and find the add-ons section, in that section add the following add-ons;
- GCC GNU C Compiler
- 3. Test your Perl install, create a simple hello world Perl script and run it.
- 4. CPAN won’t run on the Android, so if you need to install CPAN modules follow the manual instructions below.
Installing Perl Modules without CPAN
- 1. Locate the module you want to install on CPAN, get the url of the package, for example, the Text::CSV module url is http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/M/MA/MAKAMAKA/Text-CSV-1.32.tar.gz
- 2. in CCTools, open a terminal session
- 3. do the wget,
- 4. once the gz file downloads, do the following;
gzip -d Text-CSV-1.32.tar.gz
tar xcf Text-CSV-1.32.tar
Worked perfectly on my Android. Click on the image in this post to enlarge it and the terminal session of the Perl install of Text::CSV.
View my Flipboard Magazine.