Here’s a hack to add your own pictures to the Kindle to be used as the screensaver images that get rotated thru.
Adding Pictures to the Kindle Screensaver
- Connect to your Kindle via USB.
- Create a folder named ‘pictures’
- Within that new folder, create another folder name ‘My Pictures’
- Copy any number of pictures you want into the new ‘My Pictures’ folder. 600×800 is the size of the screen display.
- On the Kindle, go to the Home Screen
- Press ALT+Z to cause the Kindle to refresh the book list
- There should now be a ‘book’ named ‘My Pictures’ displayed. Note that it may not be on the first screen page depending on how you have your display configured/sorted.
- Open the ‘book’ to start the picture viewer.
- Cycle thru all of the pictures pressing F (to make them full screen), then ALT+shift+0 (the number zero) to select each one for the screensaver.
IMPORTANT NOTE: These instructions apply only to Kindles earlier than version 3. The Kindle 3 is locked down and does not permit changing the screensaver unless you jailbreak the device – see the comments thread to this post for more details. April 5, 2011.